Sunday, May 30, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I just made this for breakfast. It was so yummy! I have really been in to oats lately (hence the 'spotlight on oats' for the month of May) so I wanted to find more and more recipes to use with my oat supply. I had every intention of posting on our wards recipe blog (yes, we do have a ward recipe blog!) but couldn't figure out the password, and how to post...?) Make sure to bookmark both blogs so you can be self reliant and a good cook...ish:).

Until I find out how to post on the recipe blog, here is that recipe for
Baked Oatmeal (adapted from King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking cookbook)
1 c. steel cut oat groats
4 T. unsalted butter
4 c. water
3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1-2 c. fresh or frozen assorted berries (I used ~1 1/2-2 c. fresh blueberries & blackberries)

Preheat oven to 350. Butter/spray a 9 in. square baking dish. In a separate bowl, boil water, pour over steel-cut oats and butter. Cover. Let sit for 20 minutes. Stir in old fashioned oats, brown sugar, salt, and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir into the oat mixture. Fold in berries. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Bake until the center is set ~45 min. Remove from the oven, and serve warm with milk or cream for breakfast, or warm with whipped cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt for dessert.

Andy topped his with strawberry yogurt, I ate mine with milk (the first time) and plain (the second time-So I had two servings...I did mention it was good didn't I?) Pyper ate hers plain as did Ginger. Any way you like it goes. Let me know if you try it and what your thoughts are!

No comments:

Post a Comment